Becoming an Au Pair in America (USA)

Au Pair America

Do you want to become an Au Pair in America? Find important information here about visa requirements, Au Pair duties, pocket money, working hours, etc.

Getting a visa

All Au Pair placements in the USA must be made through a designated agency under the official J-1 Visa Program.

Answer YES to all below questions and you can get a J1 Visa!

J1 visa requirements

Are you 18 to 26 years old?

Do you speak and understand English well?

Are you single and without children?

Can you pay for a designated US Au Pair agency?

Are you a secondary school graduate or equivalent?

Do you have previous childcare experience?

Do you have a driving licence?

Are you willing to commit 12 months to your host family, look after their children and enhance your knowledge of the American culture?

Not eligible for a J1 visa? Find out more about other host countries.

Placement period

The J-1 Visa for Au Pairs specifies a minimum period of stay of 12 months. This can be extended to a maximum stay of 24 months in increments of 6, 9 or 12 months.


As an Au Pair, your primary responsibility is to look after the host family's children. Alongside childcare, you may be asked to help out with light household chores as part of your duties. Clarify with your host family what your exact duties as an Au Pair will be, and ensure these are well defined in an Au Pair contract.

Pocket money

Pocket money is $195.75 USD per week

Room and board

Private room and main meals will be provided for by the Host Family for free.

Working hours

In the USA, Au Pairs normally work 45 hours per week and not more than 10 hours per day.

Time off

You are entitled to 1.5 free days per week, as well as 1 free weekend per month. Your free weekend starts on Friday evening and ends on Monday morning.

You are entitled to 2 weeks holiday (= 10 working days) provided that you stay with the host family for 12 months.

In the US, there are no official regulations with regard to public holidays for Au Pairs. We recommend that Au Pairs have a day off on public holidays. Only in exceptional cases Au Pairs should work on public holidays. The host family should discuss this with their Au Pair beforehand.

Language course

Some agencies offer language courses for Au Pairs. Taking part in these courses is compulsory in some cases.

Education allowance

You receive an educational allowance of $500 USD for a language course or other course that has some connection to the Au Pair experience 

Additional information

The US Department of State offers some information on the Au Pair program USA online.

Become an Au Pair in America for $650

Applying to our program now to become an Au Pair in USA

Get started - Download now!

Search for an Au Pair or Family who match your needs then make a connection – all within the security and privacy of Au Pair Legend.